Saturday 19 March 2011

The Bike - Yamaha Tenere XT660Z

Yamaha Tenere XT660Z

The Yamaha Tenere is a 660cc single cylinder fuel injected warrier of a bike. It's 23lt fuel tank gives us up to 500km range and it's low compression engine means it can swallow that dirty fuel from the barrel we expect to buy on the side of the road. Only needing a service every 10,000km, this thumper isn't too precious.

This wasn't going to be a quick trip to the shops. We needed bikes that would give us the best blend of comfort, reliability, endurance and both on road and off road capabilities. As adventurous as even the paved roads can be  at times, we really wanted a bike that would give us the choice to avoid them when ever we chose to.

It is a big bastard though weighing in at 220kg wet and without gear. I'm 6.2, 100kg myself and it's can still a handful for me when I over balance. At 5.10, poor old Charlie is at full stretch riding this bike. "They" tell me that it's not an adventure bike if you can't pick it up so I was glad when it passed that test too.

It's a beautiful and natural bike to ride and one I hope is perfect for all the curve balls this adventure might throw at it. 








1 comment:

  1. I wish they sold these bikes in Canada. I'm riding a KLR650, but my favourite bike of all time was a Yamaha.

    Good luck with your travels!

    Vik
    www.klr650blog.com

    ReplyDelete